Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Week 6, Thing 15: Library 2.0

As I was reading through the five different article about the future of libraries and was really interested in the article "Into a new world of librarianship". I enjoyed reading about the different types of librarian.

One thing that I came across that I know has been talked about in meetings when I was at Westminster Branch was using Instant Messaging to Ask A Librarian. I think this is a great idea. Not everyone likes going up to the Librarian and asking them for something or calling them up but instant messaging would be a great way to get by all of that. It's a convenent for those stuck to the computer people or students who are doing major research. Theoretically, not everyone is going to get a answer right away. I will have the some of the same problems like the phones. The most effective way I can see this being implemented is using instance messaging in CTR. This way the librarians in the branches are able to help those customer at the library. In addition to that, maybe have one librarian at each branch who is not in the customer eye, could be on call for the instant messaging.

I would defentally be something to look futher into since this is more and more a computer aged world. I know we have ASK 24/7, but it would be nice to have something offered to the customer that is more personal in a nonpersonal setting. This way you could possibly know who you are talking to when you are online.

Just a thought!

No comments: